From that streak of light to the bustling street noises — anything and everything can ignite the pain of migraine and every single person loathes it. The constant ache literally annoys the sufferer to an extent that it can result into an uninteresting and worrisome personal and social life. Things get worse in today’s times when the unavoidable stress load starts to increase and the heavy dosages of medicines make one lousy not letting them cope up with the work. To help ease the pain using home remedies, I have written this post on essential oil recipes to deal with migraines.
This persistent humdrum saga results into everyday headache issues and pain killers become a part and parcel of one’s life. This, usually, is the most unwanted stage of migraine. Alas, the only solution a doctor probably could advice is to not look at that screen throughout the day. Little do they understand the roles and responsibilities that hefty salary brings into our accounts and how can we go about not working ‘cause it is not just a matter of a day, but weeks!
So, before another migraine attack hits you and you sweat it out, read these 5 natural and effective essential oil recipes to deal with migraines that will:
- calm those aching nerves down
- save all the medicinal and specialist expenses
- cure you from within and prevent frequent migraine attacks
Essential Oil Recipes To Deal With Migraines
- Lavender, Eucalyptus, and Roman Chamomile Oils: Without a doubt, this probably is the most effective migraine treatment. Lavender oil is known for its calming effects on the brain. Roman chamomile oil soothes the senses and relieves stress. Eucalyptus oil, with its high methanol content and anti-inflammatory properties, works wonders on the aching nerves. This oil is considered as one of the effective essential oils for headache for its instant headache alleviating qualities. Mix 2 drops of each of these oils and apply it topically on your forehead, temples, back of your neck and wrists. Massage moderately for a few minutes. Alternatively, one can inhale these oils using a diffuser or pour 1-2 drops of these oils on a cotton ball and breathe in the aroma every few minutes.
- Peppermint Oil or Spearmint Oil: For more potent migraines, one can use peppermint oil. However, it is advised to not eat and drink things that contain the oil because of its strong aroma. This can aggravate the headache instead. If the potent aroma of peppermint oil is too strong for you, try its alternative yet an effective replacement – the spearmint oil. Take 1 -2 drops of either of the mint oils and massage them topically onto your temples. Apply no more than 2 drops of peppermint or spearmint oil at a time.
- Rosewood Oil: This essential oil boasts of nerve-soothing properties. The salient feature of the rosewood essential oil is its quality to improve blood circulation in the applied area. Its pacifying properties comfort the nervous system, lowering the stress level — the primary cause behind most migraine attacks.
- Ylang Ylang Oil: The most efficacious essential oil that calms down the anxiety levels during migraine attacks is the Ylang Ylang oil. 1-2 drops of the oil blended with lavender oil can be applied topically to the aching zones. While Ylang Ylang oil is extremely effective in case of a major migraine attack, it is highly recommended to use it in limited quantities. Its has properties that can exacerbate the pain if too of it is used.
- Essential oils & vodka blend: As unique as it sounds, use the vodka blended essential oils to cure the throbbing migraine pain. Mix 1-2 drops of eucalyptus oil with 1 drop of peppermint or spearmint oil, 1 drop of lavender oil and a drop of rosemary essential oil to a tablespoon of vodka. Massage this herbal blend topically on the aching zones, at the back of the neck, and on the chest.
While these essential oil recipes to deal with migraines are extremely effective, we highly recommend that the following steps should be adopted alongside to prevent the constant attacks.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Sleep for minimum 7 – 8 hours every day.
- Do not stay awake late into the night.
- Stop using laptops, mobiles, tablets or any digital device at least an hour prior to sleep.
- Do not check your phone in the middle of the night or as soon as you wake up. Give about 30 minutes to your eyes before exposing it to any form of harmful radiations.
- Exercise at least thrice a week to let enough blood flow into your brains.
- Splash your eyes with cold water during the onset of a migraine attack and quickly refrain yourself from harmful radiations.
Note: Natural therapies take longer to reflect the impact they have on one’s mind and body. One should try these remedies only when he/she is suffering from a migraine attack, is under stress or is prone to persistent headaches. Try using the oils for a period of at least a month to notice visible changes. It is advisable to seek medical help in between, if need.
Have you ever used essential oils for alleviating migraine? Or do you have some essential oil recipes to deal with migraines? Share your views in the comments below.
Thank you Fab Natural for this awesome piece of work.